Friday, May 25, 2012

And Your Little Dog, Too

Well, now, here's something interesting.  See, there are Assholes on the Internet, like George Tierney, Jr., of Greenville, South Carolina, who took to Twitter to loudly and profanely denounce Georgetown College student Sandra Fluke, and then, there are assholes on the Internet who do little, less vulgar but no less damaging things to coarsen our discourse and pit us against each other.

My friend Hecate pointed me to this post, in which the author links to a post on her blog.  Now, Hecate is a Witch, and she happens to be a friend of mine, one whose wisdom and kindness has had a very positive effect on my life.  So, naturally, I was a bit taken aback by the fact that the author of this blog felt that her religion was something past which one must get to appreciate the content of her post.  I posted a comment on that blog, very nicely (I promise - no swears or anything - I do know how to conduct myself with decorum when it is called for) asking just that:  Why did he feel that it was necessary to "get past" her religion?  That's it.  This afternoon, upon returning to that blog, I noticed that my comment had been deleted.  Hmmm.  Interesting. 

Look, pally, if you're going to bring up someone's religion in a derogatory manner, I'm going to call you on it.  We either have freedom of religion, and that means ALL religions, or we don't.  I am not a believer of any stripe myself, and, frankly, I find the whole thing silly, but last I checked, it wasn't Witches who were trying to violate my right to privacy in my medical decisions by legislating their morality and passing countless bills to limit access to safe, legal abortions all across this country.    It's not Witches who are taking to court the matter of whether or not birth control pills should be covered by my insurance policy, based solely on their "religious consciences."  It's not Witches who are attempting to subjugate an entire segment of our population by forcing their religious beliefs about marriage on the rest of us.  I, and the Witches, and the rest of us who are not crazy Christian fanatics have to "get past" a whole lot of bullshit like this, every stinking day.  That's a lot more tolerance than overlooking the fact that someone finds peace in her garden or enjoys dancing naked in the moonlight.  So, a hale and hearty "fuck you" to you, sir.

6 comments: